Friday, May 20, 2011

Climbing things=great views...

My parents left last Tuesday early in the morning. On Monday, Antonio really wanted to take my parents around and show them the surrounding little cities, Monte San Biagio, Terracina and Sperlonga. He picked us up a little after 4pm and we headed to Sperlonga. This town is on the coast, and is the town that we go to when we go to the beach. I have never actually walked through the little town, so it was fun to see. The old town of Sperlonga is built up on a cliff that over looks the sea. It is very interesting because there are very few streets that actually go through the town, there are mainly little walkways that pass by lots of houses and stores. It was like walking through a maze, I definitely would not have known where I was going. When we went on Monday the skies were very very clear and it was easy to see the islands that sit just off the coast along with the whole coast line.

Sperlonga

View of the Castle is Sperlonga





















Next we headed to Terracina, and every time we drive by I always see this building up at the top of a mountain and I have always wondered if it is possible to go up there, because it was probably an awesome view, well Antonio must have had the same idea because that is the first place we went. It turns out it is the Temple of Zeus, or the ruins of the temple. In the temple there is a flat open area that looks over the edge of the mountain and you can see all of Terracina, and the other surrounding little cities as well.
My parents and me over looking Terracina

Terracina

Temple of Zeus 

Stairs in the temple

































After going up the mountain he drove us into Terracina and showed us the old part of the town, it had the old road that used to pass from Rome to Naples and it had all of the old churches and buildings. Then he took us to this little gelato place, on the way out of town, it had some of the best gelato I have ever had, it was amazing!!! They had nutella gelato, and I'm pretty sure it was just straight nutella, not actually gelato!


Old church and bell tower in Terracina













Once we got in the car, we thought we were finally heading back to Fondi, on the way back he stopped and drove us up to the top of Monte San Biagio. This town is built into the side of the mountain, and has a good view of the "lakes" that surround the area. I say "lakes" because to me, being from Michigan, these are more like rivers and ponds. And that was the end of my parents tour.
View from Monte San Biagio




Italian word/phrase of the day: la bella vita  "the beautiful life"

No comments:

Post a Comment